Friday, March 29, 2019

Roxy

Even though Roxy is not my horse,
I do interact with her daily.
So the events of the evening was
very stressful.


Around 5:30 or so I went to the barn to 
feed. 
As like everyday, Misfire was at the fence.
I get out of the car and greet her
and she replies with neighing at me.

Yesterday however she did not neigh.
And while Stormy was with Misfire, 
I was missing a horse.

I fed the two girls, the pigs and 
the cats then I put on my boots
and walked around the pasture
looking. 
Roxy has always been a accident
waiting to happen.
But I figured that maybe she 
found a low spot
in the fence and she had gotten
out. She has managed that before but
last time she managed to 
be in the safe area between the 
pasture and the barn.

I jumped in the car to drive down a
couple of houses ...checking.
When I came back I stopped and
called Chris (owner of said property).
He met me at the barn.
I was then missing both Stormy


and Misfire. I told Chris that they were
wherever Roxy was.


I called for Misfire who always comes running
when I call. It took several calls but while
walking up through the pasture here she
comes from the back of the pasture,
from behind the trees. I then headed that 
way. Once you break through the trees
you come upon another opening. I stood there
looking while I waited on Chris to 
catch up. I did not see Roxy and as I 
was about to turn and leave,
Misfire comes over to me then walks
over to the right of me, past a downed tree to
another small opening I did not see. 
There stood Roxy. Something was not 
right, she was not moving to me.
I got to her and checked to be sure she
was not caught up in trees or fencing.
But she was covered in sweat and 
she was moaning.
We tried to get her to move so we
could get her to the barn. She was
so weak that she could not move.
Then she went down.

I called another woman that used to be at the 
barn and she said she was colicky
and we needed to get her up 
and walking. I ran down the hill
to the barn for a lead line, halter
and whip so we could see about
getting her up. She would rest and then
she would try again, and again....
but we were never able to get her
up. We finally got in touch with 
Joe, Brenda's hubby and he was able
to get in touch with Brenda at work
where all I had was her cell number.
Finally with Brenda there, hubby
Joe, Chris, two of my friends I was
to have dinner with, Trellia and her
BF from the barn (goat owner) we finally
located a vet that would call
us back. He came but Roxy was
in such bad shape. After an exam the
news was not good.
She was struggling so badly and
all that could be done was to
put her down.

My heart broke for Brenda and for
her horse. 
RIP Roxy.


7 comments:

  1. Oh no. I was hoping for a better ending. So very sad. I'm so sorry. This made me cry.

    Have a blessed day and weekend. Scritches to all the babes. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so sad, run free dear Roxy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I am so sorry to hear about Roxy. Hopefully she did not suffer too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! How sad. I feel for you having witnessed this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my heart hurts for all of you involved. I know how horrible this is when it happens. my friend lost her 3 year old horse to it and I thought she might die from a broken heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sad Pam! What could have been wrong with her? What a terrible ending...poor Roxy...I'm sure you are shaken up...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beem there done that, very sad and heart breaking. Thoughts with you all. Diane

    ReplyDelete

Moved to Regular Blog

 Hello sweet blogging friends. Misty and I wanted to  do a post to let you know that mom has moved us over to her regular blog and  we are b...